15 October 2009

Imagining the Unimaginable

Imagination*. I have spent a good deal of time contemplating this phenomenon. It's incredible. To a certain extent, we can think beyond the concrete, beyond reality. We can create worlds and scenarios beyond what could ever happen in real life. We can create, period. Sure, we are bound by some limitations. Can a blind person imagine color? A deaf person, music? I can't imagine what spaghetti smells like. I can't imagine the intricate flavors of find culinary creations. If I try, there's just a blank wall. There must be some basis for imagination. 

This is why I understand it to be largely evolutionary. No imagination can make any jump too large. It's all about baby steps. We build off of each other's imaginings, thus eventually creating something incredible. Hence the inventions of today that were unimaginable 50, 100, or 1,000 years ago. Surely Pythagorus couldn't imagine the computer as it stands today. But I'm not interested in technological imagination. No, I leave that to my brother and the other scientists of the world. 

I'm more interested in the artistic, or creative imagination. I often find myself writing about children. In some ways I believe it is my goal as a writer to recapture a child's imagination and present it in terms understandable to adults, so that we might relive it. I was blessed as a child to have a very active imagination. 90% of my free time was spent "playing pretend" with my brothers or friends. I think most of our conversations began with "Let's pretend..." It was a way of life. Anything is possible to a child's mind. And little is taboo. I remember one particular game I played with my best friend when we were young. It was called War, and it basically involved us packing up our dolls and moving to various locations within the house, setting up camp, and avoiding the soldiers, who would kidnap our babies if they knew we had them. I have no idea where we got the idea for this game, and to be honest, the alluring part of the game was probably all of the changing outfits--nothing to do with becoming socially aware of others' difficulties. 

This same friend and I often played Barbies for hours on end, sometimes rarely talking to each other. We had seriously in depth and drawn-out scenarios we played out. The game went on in our heads, and we were in tune with one another enough to know what was going on. We didn't have to talk about it. And of course I would play with my other dolls in the same way, often alone, creating vast scenarios for them, carrying on conversations, etc. One of my favorite childhood TV shows was the Muppet Babies. Talk about imagination! And their imaginings actually came true. Even as a young child I longed for that experience. And so I lived vicariously through Kermit and Miss Piggy's fantastic adventures.




I would give anything to have that kind of imagination and mental focus again. Perhaps it has to do with the sheer number of things crammed into my brain these days. I could never devote three hours to one game of house. My mind would be in a million different directions. I'm not ever sure I would know how to start "playing pretend." I cannot make pretend become my reality anymore, and it's really a shame. 

I'm not saying that I want to live in a world I've created for myself that has no baring on the real world, of course. I just would like to be able to escape every once in a while for extended periods of time, without getting drawn into the world of work, relationships, and responsibility. I would especially like to be able to do this when it comes to writing. To recapture that childhood innocence and complete withdrawal into a pretend world would be an incredible feat for me. In some ways I can capture this through reading. I can lose myself in another world. But it's not the same. There isn't the freedom of imagination there would be in writing. Reading offers the line of focus to follow--it's already there, laid out for me. But that's what it is. I have to follow that writer's line. In writing I can create my own line--ultimate imagination. 

The truly great writers, I think, have found a way to do this: to immerse themselves into their story completely and utterly. To live it through the pen or keyboard. To make it interesting enough for others to want to follow and get lost in as well. I only hope that someday, however far off it may be, I'll accomplish this. And until then, I just have to keep trying. 


*This post is dedicated to Kate. I didn't bother doing all the reading you did...I just made stuff up. So you can have the last word.

3 comments:

  1. thanks for the dedication!!! I don't really have anything interesting to say, sadly. well, perhaps I will say that the imagination plays itself out in everyday life a lot more than we'd think, and that it's probably recognizing and cultivating those creative, imaginative moments with others that are just as valuable as the childhood play that, let's face it, we really can't recapture.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's quite fascinating to find someone else as interested in this aspect of the mind as I have been. Sometimes the matter never enters my head at all, and sometimes I am completely overcome with yearning to return to my childhood years. You have captured that essence perfectly - it wasn't as though what we saw was any different, but the way we saw it was unique and special.

    I too was gifted with an active imagination, and I am fortunate enough to have vivid memories of my childhood. If I had known I would have turned out this way, well, I don't know. I'd have been a little upset. The combination of a child's mind with a precocious intellect - it's what made me so remarkable, or at least that's how I felt at the time, and it gave me hope for the future.

    I never thought I was in danger of losing anything, even though I swore to myself I'd never become like 'them' - those caricatures of grown men and women who wouldn't know what life was really about if it hit them in their face, and despite the warmth of their blood, seemed more dead than alive.

    But you know, I don't think I have. Not really. Responsibility is an unavoidable part of life, and all the mundanities that come with it. I have thought long and hard about it, and the more I have, the more I began to feel what I believe I did back then. We cannot unlearn what we have learned, and we certainly can't regress our developmental stage, and in this sense we cannot 'recapture' childhood play.

    However, I am beginning to believe more and more strongly that it is possible to recreate. Perhaps not exactly as it was while our minds were still growing, but... an adult take on what is commonly seen as a childish pursuit.

    The capacity to feel and think that way still exists within us, it is just obfuscated and weighed down by all the knowledge and fears and disappointments we have accumulated. But do you remember? We never denied reality. We never pretended or imagined anything to avoid responsibilities (that we never had), we just did it for the sheer joy of the creation. I believe that if we are able to temporarily suspend our material lives, and once again immerse ourselves in a world belonging entirely to ourselves, without reservation and without judgment, we can in that sense be as children again. I've felt it... if only in fleeting, ephemeral moments.

    It's just a pity that even if we do manage to accomplish this if only a little, we'll be mostly alone in doing so. It always was more fun with friends. Maybe now I understand why some parents feel that by having their own children, they can relive a part of their childhood. It's difficult to stay in tune with that side of oneself in a society that doesn't value it at all, and would even look at you in disdain.

    I should've known you'd be a writer. It was always my favourite subject.

    ReplyDelete
  3. There are days when I wish I could reach back in time and grab my imagination...I can tell my kids what I used to play, just like it was yesterday, but when it comes to playing with my kids and using my imagination now, it almost seems to juvenile. I know that probably makes me a horrible parent, but I can't sit down with them and play Barbies or babies without feeling silly. I always wondered why my Mother would never "play" with me. She would always color with me or read me books, but she would never get down on the floor and "pretend" anything. Now I know why. It is because maturing takes the use of imagination out of us, I think. Or at least I think that is what it is for me. Do you remember when you were the age where you started to feel like maybe you were too old for pretend? I remember that like it was yesterday too. One minute I would be having a bawl with a friend playing, and then I would literally get a weird feeling in the pit of my stomach...this odd urge telling me to stop. I was too old. I remember when I started feeling awkward with kids who were younger than me, because they wanted to pretend more than I did. I was ready to do "mature" things like go for walks, ride bikes, collect nature findings, or play video games. I really do wish I could still muster up the ability to let go and "pretend" like a child, with my children. They love to pretend. They are great at it too...except when it comes to the outdoors. Apparently my kids don't know how to transfer their imaginations outside of these walls! That is something we are still working on with them...I try on occassion, to play with them and pretend. They love it when I can do it. But the days are few and far between....I am going to work on this....

    Maegan

    ReplyDelete